Luo Laughter "I speak of Africa and golden joys"



Friday, 18 October 2013

A lazy day to acclimatise.

Day 2       blog for Thursday 17th October, 2013   (Ignore automatic dating !)

Eight hours blissful sleep ! I awoke at about 4.30 and after hearing a mosque nearby calling the faithful to prayer, got up at 5. Its delightfully cool at this time, with a slight breeze coming through the mosquito wire covered windows.

Wendy was only just up in time for breakfast, but had had a good nights unbroken sleep. I went down to the chapel for the catholic mass, but Father Gerry sleeps late, I think, and no-one came to take it, so I'll try another morning, maybe !

After breakfast of porridge, bacon and eggs and malarone pills, Jonathan went off for a walk to Hippo Point, where he sat and watched the hippos for an hour, and Wendy and I took a more leisurely walk round Milimani. I'm enjoying our conversations.

Then back to Mill Hill to do our laundry, and for me to attempt to get online. They have a new ISP now, and I can actually link in from my room, which is good. I connected to Skype with no problems, but couldn't open and thus post on this blog. I think its something to do with this ancient laptop which has XP and nothing more up to date. But I later found that by down-loading Google Chrome, all was suddenly well ! I'm not a techie enough to know why, but it works and I was able to blog.

Wendy and I had a problem with our two phones; we need to be able to call each other if we are working or visiting two different places at the same time. I could text and phone her; she could text me …. but NOT phone. I decided we ought to visit a Safaricom shop to try and sort it.

After lunch I called Morris to collect us with his tuk-tuk, but due to some misunderstanding he didnt turn up, so Raphael (the gate-keeper here) called a tuk-tuk man he knows …. who turned out to have the same name as my son ! We went to Mega-City Mall, and he took us via Nyalenda, and Wendy saw her first local shanty area. Such a contrast there …. slums one side of the ring road, large posh houses in security fenced compounds on the other.

We found the Safaricom shop in the Mall, and we still don't know what the problem was, but the man fixed it ! Then we followed a huge group of children upstairs to the childrens area, and watched them going on a helicopter roundabout, and some on the dodgems. The tiniest children looked terrified but the older ones enjoyed the experience. I think perhaps for them the best bit of the school visit was seeing the two ancient white ladies sitting on the steps outside eating ice cream !! 



It is both interesting and terrifying to know that this Mall in Kisumu is almost the same pattern as the one in Nairobi. We see today in the newspaper that a bodiless head and some guns and an unexploded bomb have all been found in the Mall there …...


Letters in the paper saying Kenya will not be defeated by terrorism .... 

Waiting for the tuk-tuk to return, I had a phone call …. it was Morris calling to say he was back in town …. and I looked up and there he was walking towards us !    Its lovely having friends here in the city, and suddenly meeting them on the street.

Here at Mill Hill House, we all gather in the common room for 6.30 drinks …. very civilised, before the evening meal at 7 ! Various visitors, such as priests travelling through to Uganda or Rwanda, or nursing sisters, come and go and stay for a meal, or for a few days, so there are always new conversations. I discovered that my eldest daughter who was born ¼ of a mile away, was delivered by a Mill Hill sister who used to stay here 40 years ago ! Another link to the past …..

No comments:

Post a Comment