I went by tuk-tuk to Nyamasaria. I love tuk-tuks ..... they are the weird three wheeled Piaggio vehicles used all over Africa, India and the far east as cheap transport. I suppose they are so named for the 'tuk-a-tuk-a-tuk' noise they make .. there's one going past the house as I write this. I very occasionally use boda-boda (bike taxi - you sit behind the man pedalling) but consider the piki-piki far too dangerous. For definitions see:- http://luolaughter.blogspot.co.ke/2014/11/transports-of-delight.html
The piki-piki drivers have a strange way of wearing their crash helmet, if indeed they use one at all. They tip them back, so that the piece of the helmet which normally covers the chin and mouth is up across the eye-brows.
I walked through to the workshop away from the new Chinese built main road, and met Paul; Bonaventure, Kennedy and Stephen that I knew from before. They are all making up an order for 50 school desks, and repairing others. Upstairs were a set of chairs made by Bonaventure which are awaiting upholstery
I forgot to take photos of the trees we planted when I came out with Wendy, but they are all doing well.
I had a brief chat (via Paul interpreting) with Mary, the mother of Milly, the child we arranged to get special counselling for .... and she says Milly is doing well but at school. I'll try and see Milly at some point. She must be about 12 now. Paul lost his phone, and had to get another, so doesn't have Lilians phone number .... but will try and contact her. I could always walk from the workshop to where she was living and ask people.
I'll go to the workshop again later in the week to get more up-dates on how things are going for my report. As one of the fathers told me last week, the JaLuo are an oral people; everything is spoken and writing reports, etc. like us Europeans want, just isn't within their mind-sets.
~ ~ ~ ~ ~
I stopped at Mega City on the way back to the house, and walked along to where the massive town rubbish dump was when we first came. As there is so much building being done around Mega City, for some reason I thought the dump had been dealt with ... but no.
If anything, its doubled in size, both in spread and height. That's the Kisumu version of Tesco's in the background. The rubbish is continuously burning, the stench is dreadful, and the thick choking smoke blows across the road, straight onto a school for handicapped children .... goodness knows what toxins they are breathing in.
And for those who are new to my blog, this town rubbish dump is where street children scavenge for waste food among the filth, and where many of them live, and sleep at night, where the smouldering rubbish keeps them warm. What sort of future do these kids have ?
No comments:
Post a Comment