So ... all packed, prepared (we hope !), well innoculated, ready for the off ...
Goodbye my friends and family; YOU have made this possible with your generous donations towards the project, so for YOU I will do my very best in Kisumu.
I'll try and keep in contact ... but it may not be possible; however, I shall be keeping a diary, and can relate the whole story when I get back !
My love and hugs to you all ...
Erokomano, gi oriti ahinya ! Nyasaye ber !
Hello!! Daughter #1 here. I thought the readers of the blog might like to see the email we received from Mum yesterday...... I just love the thought of her on the back of the motorbike!!!! See below..........
ReplyDelete"Hello all !
I'm sitting here in a shanty-town cyber cafe ! Temp 95 F, humidity 75%. We did our first days work today ... six hours of shifting scafold poles up one floor (or onto what is the roof of the building).
Across the road are corrugated iron shacks, the road is dry dust, and there is rubbish everywhere. Cows wandeing past ...
We have fallen on our feet in that we have an apartment ! Mattresses on the floor with nets, a hi-type loo, and TWO showrs. We have employed a Maasai night watchman, and a lady to cook and wash clothes for us. It gives two people a wage for a short while.
Went to the RC church yesterday ... on the back of a motor bike, with my skirts round my thighs and shocking the loals ! They gave me communion, which was really lovely ... Ewevery one os so friendly and welcoming; its home again ! My Luo language is coming back; I can even use complicated plurals, much to my surprise ... an that of the loals !
Excuse the spelling ... it costs per minute here, and the keyoard is VERY old and some keys stick and there are no letters on the keys !
We have used the local tuk-tuk vehicles ... a passenger seat ofr three on a lambretta ... only this being Africa there is always room for one more ! Six in a three passenger tuk-tuk ... oh dear !
Must go ... please tell people you've heard from me, and I send my love to all my friends."