The carpentry workshop is built up to the top of the ground floor ... and there it has stopped ... no money or HATW people there to complete it ... so that'll be our job ! I was MOST interested to see the coarse locally made bricks ... they are made by two men at a brickworks at Maseno, just a mile or less from there we used to live ! And I have photo's ...
Clay is cut; bricks are shaped in a wooden mould
Bricks laid out to dry in the sun
Maseno brick-makers and the piled up dried bricks; covered with grass and later wood;
then fired in the stack
Fired bricks awaiting sale; sizes vary !
Back to the talk ... it seems we might be staying in the YMCA which is a short walk from the site, with no kitchen facilities. We will therefore probably have to cater for ourselves, but I don't see that as a problem. The workshop (as it is) has three rooms, but no doors or windows yet, so we could buy a small charcoal burner and a couple of pots, and cook (at floor level) inside the building at lunch-time. I'm willing to give it a go ! The utensils, jiko (charcoal stove) and any pots can be locked away each night with the tools on site.
Our building task will be hopefully to complete the building; we'll see how we get on ! The sooner it is complete, the sooner it can be used to teach teenagers carpentry.




No comments:
Post a Comment