Luo Laughter "I speak of Africa and golden joys"



Thursday, 20 August 2020

"For Love of Soysambu" part 2

I've finished reading this, and greatly enjoyed it; much of the Cholmondeley history I already knew from other books, and yet there were huge amounts I didn't.  The author has lived for perhaps 25 years in a Soysambu cottage, so was able to talk to the family whenever she needed to, and they gave her access to their archive of family photos and records.

Over 100 years in Kenya, the Delameres had acquired land, but really very little wealth.  Various types of farming were tried, but the Soysambu soil was poor and animal diseases spread from the game which they could at first cull, but recent game protection laws now stop this.   Thus the zebra particularly have vastly increased and eat the grass needed for cows.  Population has increased in Kenya ENORMOUSLY .... when I first went there in 1968 it was about 5 million; now in 2020, it is around 25 million and rising.   So population pressure on land around Soysambu is squeezing and squeezing; squatter villages are proliferating around the lakes; power pylons are springing up disrupting bird migration routes; there is talk of an airport between Nakuru and Elementeita ..... 

Thus Soysambu is becoming/has become a Conservancy in an attempt to change land use.  Tourism might be the answer .... but do tourists want to witness the polluted lakes, the rubbish blowing in the wind, and everything else that has changed so much in 50 years ?

Now I am wondering about the disasterous results of colonisation, 'Africanisation' and independence in 1963, which in my opinion was correct, but post independence so much has gone wrong.   I weep to see how 'the garden of Eden' has been treated by man.


(Delamere's 'nose' across Lake Elmenteita from Soysambu)

No comments:

Post a Comment