Pat is the lady I've mentioned several times over the years on this blog.
My first meeting with her is here .... http://luolaughter.blogspot.co.ke/2011/03/visit-to-covenant-orphanageschool-at.html
I always try and see her every visit, if only to enjoy her wonderful thick Norfolk accent ! She is now almost 80, and plans to continue here, despite no longer running the school, but still supporting some of her 'children'.
Last year she was living in a flat in Dunga, a fishing village along the lake shore, but she was continually being invaded by her 'children' wanting money, food, which she could no longer supply, so she's now renting a more inaccessible but new flat out at Mamboleo, on the Kakamega road, and keeps an eye on a few of her 'children' now adults, who help her and each other with money, etc.
I'd been told by Patrick, the gardener here, that someone called Martin was going to collect me and take me there. Hmm ! I wasn't sure about a man I didn't know taking me in a strange car to somewhere I didn't know .... so I phoned Pat first; she laughed and said it was fine, but probably a wise move ! Martin turned up today, with a tuk-tuk ... I thought we would go in a car, but not so ! The road from the centre of Kisumu for about a mile is OK-ish, but after that .... APPALLING, especially in a tuk-tuk driven by a maniac ! The road to Kakamega is like the one past the workshop a few years back; being remade by the Chinese, and at the moment all pot holes, broken old tarmac, heaps of rubble, rocks and mud. AND manic drivers on piki-piki, tuk-tuks, lorries, and sprinkled with people and cows. I'm so shaken up, I feel a session with an osteopath might be in order !
Anyway, we found Pats new block of gated, secure flats, and very nice they are too. Pat came down and met me, and apologised ... she thought Martin had gone to fetch me in her car !
Because Mamboleo is uphill from Kisumu, its a bit cooler, and her 4th floor balcony catches all the breezes, which was very pleasant. She has wonderful views from up there. I remember that area from about 45 years ago .... all bush, trees, shamba's and the occasional 'mud' hut house. Now its being rapidly developed, with the new road, and blocks of flats and shops being built.
Pats view in one direction ....
The journey back to Mill Hill was a little more comfortable, as we went in Pats car, but .... oh, the road !
No comments:
Post a Comment