I managed to contact Pat Botwright, who used to run the Covenant children's home and school, until she ran out of money/sponsors, and it was taken over by a Canadian organisation. You can read about her here ....
http://luolaughter.blogspot.co.ke/2011/03/visit-to-covenant-orphanageschool-at.html
So Pat came round for a cuppa and a long chat. Last time I saw her she was living in a massive house near here in Milimani, rented to her by an Indian family so that she had space for orphaned boys to stay while they were doing further studies. Now she has moved out and is renting a brand new flat in Dunga, and intends to stay here in Kisumu until the end of her days. She's still an amazing lady, late 70's, raising awareness in her native Norfolk and elsewhere, to raise money to continue looking after 'her' boys (and a few girls) to pay university fees and hospital bills and so on.
~ ~ ~ ~ ~
After Pat had gone, I heard a sound I hadn't heard for years ... in fact it was the very first bird I identified here way back in 1968 ... the eastern grey plantain eater ! There were a pair in a tree, of which I managed to get a very poor photo with my pocket Canon (no zoom), through the mosquito mesh in the corridor ... and I found a really good photo on Google.
They are about the size of slim chickens, and have a strident 'go-warrrr' call .... hence their other name of 'Go away bird.'

No comments:
Post a Comment