Luo Laughter "I speak of Africa and golden joys"



Thursday, 27 November 2014

Some more animals from the safari


Spotted hyaena .... nasty mannered scavengers which we heard 'yip-yipping' and growling at nights.



This is normally the only view of hippo that we see .... they like to doze in the mud in the Mara River during the day, and come up for air, snort and grunt, and gently sink again.   But they are very dangerous animals if met on foot especially if one gets between them and water.     The size of the tusks in the photo below suggest just what they can do to a human if they attack.


And the day we left, we were lucky to find a hippo actually out of the water, wandering back to the river.   Hippos weigh about one and a half  to two tons, and despite their apparent plodding sluggishness, they can outrun a human, so very dangerous.



And finally, from the large to the small ... a buffalo which if I was one of the old colonial hunters, I would say has 'a fine head' and shoot it to mount it on a wall .......


... to another of my favourite 'small things' .... some sort of long horn beetle I think.  



No comments:

Post a Comment