I went early to the workshop ... I'm getting used to flagging down tuk-tuks and travelling by myself ... and haggling over the price. I'm told the fare should be 100 K Sh, but because I'm white, they try and charge me much more .... what Hans calls 'skin-tax' !! I usually pay 150 sh, and occasionally 200, which seems OK to me for the distance, so I pay it.
This is Milly's house, and its obviously the day for purple washing ! It looked like sheets and chair covers and table-cloths.
I walked along to see Lilian again, pleased with myself that I could find her new house; I have memorised several land marks along the way .... left fork along the lane, pass the water tanks, another left and immediately right, through Nyamasaria market, right at the meat stall, straight, look out for blue loo's and then left at a new building of rough red bricks ......... all the time being chatted to by people who want to know where I'm going, and little children running up and shouting 'Wazungu ! 'ow are you ?' to which the reply is 'I'm fine !' I think they are taught this in school. It wouldn't be right at home to shout 'Black man ! How are you ?' but that's more or less the opposite of what the children shout.
Lilian was at home, sewing, and delight of delights, she's given me a big bag of scraps of African materials for patchwork !!
Chanel, Shaila, Lilian and baby Davis in their house, which is one very crowded room about 12 ft by 10 ft. Lilians husband is a boda-boda driver, and I suspect one of the workers on the 'dollar a day' poverty level often mentioned in UN and EU reports on African poverty levels. Lilian adds to their income by taking in sewing and occasionally cooking for people giving parties. Her children look well fed and clothed, and they go to school, so they manage. I heard from Paul that many of the children who are usually around the workshop (its the school holidays here) are at 'tu-shon' classes .... or tuition. The teachers hold these for kids in the holidays, and parents have to pay for their children to be taught what should really have been covered in normal school time.
Paul was giving the students who will take the trade exam on Monday, a sort of very tough 'mock' test, so that the piece they are asked to make will, he thinks, be easier.
Stephine, Kennedy and Jared
Kennedy planing
Paul on the right explaining the task
No comments:
Post a Comment