Hare, a clever animal, was friends with Elephant and Hippo. He knew that he was physically weaker than they were, but he also knew he could prove he was actually stronger than they.
One day we saw Hippo wallowing with his friends in the waters of Lolwe, and said 'Hello, you big, stupid brute !' 'What', said Hippo; 'How dare you address me like that ! I'm the biggest and stronger of all the animals who live in the water.' Hare replied, 'You may be the strongest in the water, but I am the cleverest and strongest of ALL animals. Let's meet here in three days time and I'll prove to you how strong I am. I'll be able to pull you straight out of the water and into the forest.'
They parted, and to be honest, Hare had no idea how he could outwit Hippo ! He thought deeply, and at last had the idea of perhaps tying one end of a rope to a tree ... when his friend Elephant came by.
'Hello, you giant long-nose ! Why on earth do you keep swinging your ugly snout like that ?' Elephant was NOT pleased at being spoken to so rudely. 'Don't you know you should respect your elders and betters ?' said Elephant. 'Run along, and find a weak little child like yourself to play with.'
Hare replied, 'Don't be silly. I'm not a child. I'll offer you a challenge. Come here in three days time and I'll prove I'm stronger than you by dragging your great lumpy body out of the forest and into the lake.' And he turned, and hopped off into the forest.
Three days later, Hare took his horn and the longest rope he could find, to the lake shore, and met Hippo. 'Here, hold onto this tightly and when you hear me blow my horn, pull as hard as you can'. Hippo yawned and smiled, and sank back into the water and waited.
Hare carried the other end of the rope into the forest and gave it to Elephant. 'Hold onto this, and as soon as you hear me blow my horn, pull as hard as you can, but I will also be pulling, and will drag you into the lake !'
And running and hopping away, he hid himself in some bushes where he could watch what happened. He blew his horn, and with a crashing of trees and bushes, and splashing and cascading of water, the tug-of-war started !
Hour after hour they pulled, hour after hour the forest and lake rang to the sounds of trumpeting and splashing, as neither Elephant or Hippo managed to pull the other ... So at last, seeing his friends exhausted, Hare blew his horn again to stop the contest.
He hopped down to the lake shore and spoke to Hippo. 'Brother Hippo, you may be strong, but I am stronger, and also much more clever than you ! I hope you will respect me now.' Hippo sighed, and sank back into the water, blowing spray out of his nose as he disappeared from sight among the papyrus reeds.
He hopped down to the lake shore and spoke to Hippo. 'Brother Hippo, you may be strong, but I am stronger, and also much more clever than you ! I hope you will respect me now.' Hippo sighed, and sank back into the water, blowing spray out of his nose as he disappeared from sight among the papyrus reeds.
Back in the forest, Hare spoke to his other friend, Elephant. 'You wouldn't believe me; you may be as big as Got Ramogi, but you've learned your lesson ... I am much more clever and stronger than you !' Much puzzled, Elephant shook his head, swung his trunk, and plodded back among the trees.
Moral:- Even the weakest people can be strong if they use their brains !


No comments:
Post a Comment