This has arrived today, and I spent a pleasant afternoon sitting on the sofa reading it.
There is a fascinating article about Boy Long, one of the early settlers, who worked for 'D' .... Lord Delamere, on his Soysambu estate near Lake Elmentaita. The article quotes 'Kenya Chronicles', a book by Lord Cranworth, and also mentions work by Elspeth Huxley ... both books which I have in my Africa library, so I spent more time during the afternoon finding these books and reading up more about this very enigmatic character. Boy had an estate at the southern end of Lake Nakuru, near the Nderit river, and I'd guess is now part of the Lake Nakuru National Park.
Kenya certainly produced some interesting people in the early days of white settlement ... mostly of British aristocratic stock, and all quirky characters. I was delighted to meet a few of them in my earlier years in Kenya. I must check through the last ten years of blog posts and see if I have written about them !
There is also an article about Grace Onyango, who died in March, and who was the first African female mayor, and an MP. She taught for a while at Ng'iya Girls School, where we lived when we first arrived in the country, and I met her there some years later, when she was visiting.
No comments:
Post a Comment