Luo Laughter "I speak of Africa and golden joys"



Thursday, 29 March 2018

Is the Rift Valley rifting ?


http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/world-africa-43501954/huge-crack-opens-in-kenya-s-rift-valley

I hope the link to the BBC item works .... but if not, this huge deep crack has opened up in the Rift Valley near Suswa, and is several miles long, cutting through the Nairobi to Narok road, which I frequently travelled on in the bus !



It has been suggested that the recent heavy rains after a year of drought, plus seismic activity, have caused it. 

This is not many miles from the semi-dormant volcanoes of Mt Suswa and Mt Longonot.  Suswa has miles of lava tunnels, and I believe the local Maasai still take tourists on walks through the underground tunnels.  We climbed Mt Longonot a long time ago (45 years ?!) and there were steam jets puffing away inside the crater, indicating some activity deep within the earth.   

No comments:

Post a Comment