Luo Laughter "I speak of Africa and golden joys"



Sunday, 26 June 2016

Probably best not to mention the referendum :-(

I was turning out a load of old newspapers and spotted this in a Daily Telegraph from April, which I must have missed. 

 
This could so easily apply to most African countries, and it certainly does to Kenya, where the poor get poorer, and the rich keep their money off-shore.
 
Its hard to find the actual amounts given by the UK to Kenya, but a 2013 figure suggests £98 million per year.   Is that all government aid ?    It doesn't seem very much.     Or is most of it via charities such as Oxfam, Water-Aid .... and even HATW ?    Its almost impossible to find a break-down of actual amounts given by the UK government on the internet.   But the above newspaper cutting suggests we need to rethink aid, and in what form we give it.   

No comments:

Post a Comment