Little grand-daughter M. was here yesterday; she is fascinated by zips, and my rucksack was on the sofa and she spotted the zips. She spent some time playing with it, opening and closing the zips, but when I came to put it away this morning, it felt as though there was something inside it !
I'm also buying presents for the Mill Hill fathers, such as an English Christmas pudding (though it'll be Lent when I'm there, so goodness knows when they'll eat it ! Easter, maybe ?) I've got shortbread biscuits and other treats for my Kenyan friends, and am busy collecting baby clothes and bra's as usual.
One of the elderly 'friends' of HATW buys wool for next to nothing in charity shops, and she and her friends knit baby and toddler jumpers and baby hats for us. They are always striped and brightly coloured, and much appreciated by Sister B. at the Pandipieri centre, to give out to needy mothers and babies. My eldest daughter has also collected boys shirts for me to take ....
So I am gradually amassing luggage.
~ ~ ~ ~ ~
In the office, we recently had an update on progress from PALUOC, the carpentry workshop.. Paul writes:
“At PALUOC workshop, we took some days off from 22nd December to 4th January. Most of the students are back and I am looking forward to receiving more students this year.
Last year was a good year. I worked very closely with the three candidates towards their exam that was done in December. It was nice to present two ladies in the government test as this is very rare. According to me, they did their best though all is now left in the hands of the examiner.
Last year was a good year. I worked very closely with the three candidates towards their exam that was done in December. It was nice to present two ladies in the government test as this is very rare. According to me, they did their best though all is now left in the hands of the examiner.
I am looking forward to this year as I now have four categories of trainees. Bonaventure’s group who can now do most things on their own, the group that has just done their exam, the group that joined towards the end of last year and finally the new recruits this year. I enjoy working with these students, starting from the level of identifying tools to the level which one is now able to make an item.
I would want to thank you very much for the support and encouragement which Hands Around The World sponsors have offered PALUOC carpentry training and made it possible for me to be able to transform the lives of these young people in Kisumu".
I'm looking forward very much to catching up with the students I have got to know well, and meeting the new ones. Good that two young ladies have done the training; until now I don't know of any other place in Kisumu where girls can do technical training; dress-making and cooking, yes, but not the subjects normally done by boys.
I would want to thank you very much for the support and encouragement which Hands Around The World sponsors have offered PALUOC carpentry training and made it possible for me to be able to transform the lives of these young people in Kisumu".
I'm looking forward very much to catching up with the students I have got to know well, and meeting the new ones. Good that two young ladies have done the training; until now I don't know of any other place in Kisumu where girls can do technical training; dress-making and cooking, yes, but not the subjects normally done by boys.
No comments:
Post a Comment